Search This Blog

Don't Miss A Post!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Organic Products for Your Body & Your Home

Organic Products for Your Body & Your Home
Products that are so natural, you can eat them!

Grab My Button!

Photobucket
Business 2 Blogger

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Unschool? Relaxed/Eclectic Schooling? Classical/Traditional?

Source homeschoolcoach
Source
We have been a homeschooling family since my oldest was 3.  She did go to a Montessori school for a few months, but we took her out.  It just wasn’t right for her.  I still love Montessori, and if we ever move to a place with a great Montessori school, who knows, we might put our kids in it.  At the time, though, the particular school was not a good fit for us.


We have been homeschooling ever since then and I have no doubt it is the right choice for our family right now.


For those of you who know a little about homeschooling, you know there are lots of choices as to which ‘style' of homeschooling you want to do.  There ’s Relaxed/Eclectic, Classical/Traditional, Unschooling, Montessori, School-at-Home, Charlotte Mason, etc.


I know not everyone can put their family in a just one classification, our family sure couldn’t!  We have always been a Relaxed/Eclectic homeschooling family with a tad slant towards unschooling.  I thought, for the longest time, that we unschooled, but then I learned that a lot of unschoolers use no workbooks and feel you can’t unschool and use books.  My kids like workbooks, so I guess that means we don’t unschool.  I never really have cared what the name of our style was, so it doesn’t really matter, I suppose.


Annnnyway, I’m changing it up this school year!  The way we have been schooling has served its’ purpose, but it is time to move on to a more traditional approach.  Not too traditional, though… I’m not jumping all the way to Classic/Traditional and definitely not going to School-at-Home.  I am really just dropping the ‘Unschooling’ portion of our schooling and adding more structure to our daily schedule.  Also, I will be using less workbooks from wal-mart (or where ever) and more actual homeschool books.  I’m really excited for this change.  

What kind of homeschooler are you? 

Are you making any changes this year?  Any advice on how to be more successful with our change?


Tomorrow, I will share with you what curriculum I have found for each subject and more details on my plan.  I know you are on the edge of your seat!

1 comment:

Maria said...

I am not homeschooling yet but plan to. I did sign up my 3 year old to go to a 2 day/week "preschool" this year but my primary goal is the social development. I look forward to hearing what others say!