The urban dictionary defines crunchy as,
"to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically strongly left-leaning and may be additionally but not exclusively categorized as vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists, neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc. Also used to describe establishments where alternative foods and products are sold, i.e. natural food stores. Modified derivative of granola." Of course, since it gave me that last bit about it being a derivatave of granola, I had to look up granola!
Granola is defined as,
"An adjective used to describe people who are environmentally aware (flower child, tree-hugger), open-minded, left-winged, socially aware and active, queer or queer-positive, anti-oppressive/discriminatory (racial, sexual, gender, class, age, etc.) with an organic and natural emphasis on living, who will usually refrain from consuming or using anything containing animals and animal by-products (for health and/or environmental reasons), as well as limit consumption of what he or she does consume, as granola people are usually concerned about wasting resources. Usually buy only fair-trade goods and refrain from buying from large corporations, as most exploit the environment as well as their workers, which goes against granola core values. The choice of not removing body hair (see amazon) and drug use are not characteristics that define granola people, and people, regardless of granola status, may or may not partake in said activities. This definition is sometimes confused with hippy."
After reading both definitions, I've decided I'm neither crunchy or granola. At least, not according to these definitions. There are pieces of each definitions that are definitely in line with the way I think and live, but neither definition describes me completely. Those of you that know me well, know which traits are not me. One in particular is laughable. Anyway... so, what am I? I do have it figured out... Ready? I'm...
I always kind of thought that living a natural life, both in medical choices and nutritional choices is what being crunchy or granola was all about. Listening to nature/innate/God. We live a 'natural' life, but what does that mean? It certainly does not encompass all of the above definitions of the words. So, I've decided I live 'consciously'. I try to think about everything I do and its impact on my body (and my family's body) and the environment. How do I do that? Here are a few ways:
- My kids have never had a twinkie... and I didn't have my first one until I was about 12 and I took one bite and was done! Never had one since.
- We don't drink soda/pop. However, I have a serious addiction to sweet tea, which, I am sure is not crunchy/granola! ...And, I'm okay with that.
- Most of our fruits/veggies are organic and hopefully from local farmers instead of the grocery store.
- I had all my kids at home because.... well, that's a long post... so maybe later! :)
- We didn't vaccinate our kids and my parents didn't have me vaccinated, because... hmmmm, that will be saved for a later post as well! :)
- We have lots of bins in our garage for recyclables and because of that, our trash can is rarely full. (A true crunchy person would not need all the recycle bins because they would not use so many things that are not consumable)
- When I was in high school, I once stopped my car (in a parking lot) because my friend who was with me threw a straw wrapper out the window. I made her pick it up.
- We do not buy bottled water, both for health reasons and environmental reasons.
What about you? What one word could describe you and how you live? After thinking about it and coming up with a word, do you like that word? If not, you can do something about it to change the word! Change the things in your life you don't like and change your word!
Have a great day! Thanks for listening to me ramble.